Monday, May 24, 2010

Foods to try in New York City: Chicken & Rice on 53rd St. & 6th Ave.


This is the reputed Chicken & Rice from the stand on 53rd and 6th Ave. There are actually 3 stands within a block of each other all owned by the same guy. True Chicken & Rice diehards say that one of them in particular supersedes the others. I say, go to the the one with the shortest line. Just look for the stands with the yellow umbrellas and bags and you’ll get the same thing. The meat itself isn’t very interesting. I’d say about 80% of the flavor comes from the sauces. There’s one white sauce (just pour it all on) and one red sauce (the method I use for dispersing this sauce: I dip the tip of my fork into the sauce and speckle it on top of the white sauce. Why? It’s super spicy, even for those accustomed to spicy foods). Choices of meat include: Chicken, Lamb or Chicken & Lamb.

No comments: