Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Foods to try in New York City: Popbar, Grom, Red Mango, 16 Handles, Stogo.








Since it’s been quite sunny out lately, I thought it best to mention foods that would provide some cool relief.

Popbar: The first is Popbar. The one on Carmine St . opened recently. It’s around $4 per popsicle. I tried Mango, but they have a bunch of fruity and chocolaty flavors. Maybe I’m being stingy, but I thought the pricetag was a little too high for what I was getting (quantity-wise, not quality-wise). They’ll dip it in any of a variety of melted chocolates and crushed nuts. The place is tiny (hence the “bar” in Popbar), but there’s a public fountain across the street surrounded by benches.

Grom: If you walk down to the end of the same block, you’ll come across the gelateria, Grom. I know it’s legit because Grom exists in Italy. Again, a little pricey, but the flavors are unique and the consistency is great.

Red Mango. I know this isn’t particular to NYC (neither is Grom), but I wanted to add it on my list because it’s one of my favorite froyo spots. It’s Korean by origin and has become quite popular here in the U.S. I recently tried the froyo parfait (I got almonds, strawberries, bananas and granola in Original). It was decent and filling, especially good for warm days when you don’t have the appetite for a hot meal. In comparison to its competitor, Pink Berry, it’s “sweeter and creamier.” Both are pretty tasty, it just depends on personal preference.

16 Handles: Known for it’s 16 flavors, 16 Handles offers the most variety where tastes are concerned. It’s sort of like a buffet; you can squeeze out as much of every flavor and scoop on as much of every topping as you want. Price is based on weight. The downside is that most of the flavors, in my opinion, are pretty artificial tasting (except maybe Peanut Butter and Original, the two flavors I always get).

Stogo: Stogo is definitely an interesting experience. It strives to achieve gelato consistency without the dairy. And, it does (sort of…in a good way though). The flavor combinations are interesting. I especially liked the Mexican Spiced Chocolate.

No comments: